William Henry Ballard, Jr was born 26 September 1893, and died 13 August 1963.1 He married c. 1919 Lucille Estes. William Henry Ballard graduated from the Howard University College of Pharmacy, where he received his medical degree in pharmacy in 1918.
Lucille Estes, the daughter of John Estes and Minerva Chinn, was born 27 April 1897 in Lexington, Kentucky and died 24 April 1960 in Chicago, Illinois. At the time of her death she was living at 6539 St Lawrence Street, Chicago, Illinois.2
In 1920 to 1930 the Federal Census shows that William Henry Ballard was in business with his father in Lexington, Kentucky. In 1930 or 1931 they removed to Chicago, Illinois, as evidenced by the 1940 Federal census, which places them in North Chicago with the household comprised of William Ballard, age 46; Lucille E. Ballard, age 42; William H. Ballard, age 20 and Minerva L. Ballard, age 9; Minerva is the only one in the household identified as having been born in Illinois; the rest were born in Kentucky.3
The children of William Henry Ballard, Jr and Lucille Estes were:
William Henry, III, born 20 August 1919 in Lexington Kentucky, William Henry died 5 February 1970 when he was living at 1648 West Lunt, Chicago, Illinois, and was buried at Lincoln Cemetery, Worth Township, Illinois.4 He married (1) 13 August 1943 Alice Harper, who was born 9 February 1922 in Augusta, Georgia, and died in childbirth on 12 June 1945 in Chicago, Illinois; the stillborn child was named Alice. She was buried at Lincoln Cemetery, Worth Township, Illinois.5 He married (2) Naomi __________ (1918-2010). William Ballard, III was reportedly working a snow blower, when his glove got caught and he was injured; he was discharged from hospital, and died from an infection two weeks later. His widow sued the hospital for failing to give a booster shot for tetanus; William contracted lockjaw, the first case in Chicago in 120 years.6 He left issue residing in New York, New York [two sons, one daughter; two grandchildren].
John Polk, born 18 December 1921 and died 1922 in Lexington, Kentucky.7
Evlyn Genevie, born c. 1925, died 17 April 1925 in Lexington, Kentucky.8
Minerva Lucille, born c. 1931, died 10 December 2014, Chicago, Illinois (online memorial). Survived by [husband] and two children.
1. Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1994 database.
2. Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1994 database.
3. Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1994 database. 1930 US Federal Census, Lexington, Fayette, Kentucky, E.D. 34-9. The enumeration of the household includes Minerva Estes, identified as “mother-in-law” and a widow. 1940 US Federal Census, Ward 2, North Chicago, Waukegan Township, Lake, Illinois, E.D. 49-59.
4. Illinois, Cook County Deaths, 1878-1994 database.
5. Illinois Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947 database.
6. Oral interview with Minerva Ballard, 1990.
7. Kentucky Vital Records Indexes, 1911-1999 database; Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1961 database.
8. Kentucky Vital Records Indexes, 1911-1999 database; Kentucky Death Records, 1911-1961 database.