Below are the brief genealogies provided by each participant in Lineage Group III of the Ballard DNA Project. Please note: several individuals in this Lineage Group claim descent from Thomas Ballard of James City County, as does one person in Lineage Group I. One of these claims is incorrect, so absent better evidence, we decline to recognize these claims until better evidence emerges and we are able to definitively place Thomas Ballard in the correct family.
If known, there are links to the appropriate pages within this site. To see the genealogies of all of the participants, please visit the Ballard DNA Surname Project.
1. William B. Ballard, b. abt. 1798 VA d. 31 Mar 1854, Edwardsville, Madison, IL m. Catherine Bartlett b. 1812 Henry Co. KY, d. abt 1867 Upper Alton, Montgomery, IL
2. Lewis McLain Ballard, b. Jan. 4, 1831, Auburn, Montgomery, IL d. 21 Feb. 1857, Oconee, Shelby, IL m. Sarah Jane Whitmore b. 1830 Columbus, Union, OH, d. abt 1868 Christian Co. IL
1. James Ballard b. 1776-1780 in NC d. March 1847 in Wilkinson County, GA
m. Unknown d. bef 1820 GA
m. Marjorie/Margiana Brady June 15, 1820 in Wilkinson County, GA b. c. 1773 GA d. May 1853 Wilkinson County, GA
2. James Ballard b. c. 1797 GA d. July 15, 1878 Delta, Clay County, AL
m. Martha Brady January 1, 1827 Wilkinson County, GA b. c. 1812 GA d. c. 1843 Upson County, GA
m. Allie Brady January 18, 1844 in Upson County, GA b. c. 1804 GA d. Aft. March 21, 1889 GA
3. James Thomas Ballard b. c. 1828 Wilkinson County, GA d. July 24, 1863 Chattanooga, Hamilton County, TN
m. Susan Brady January 9, 1856 in Upson County, GA b. July 27, 1836 GA d. May 11, 1893 Upson County, GA
4. James Alfred Ballard b. October 10, 1856 Upson County, GA d. July 30, 1929 AL m. Lougenia Frances Williams January 10, 1878 in Upson County, GA b. January 12, 1862 Upson County, GA d. April 12, 1936 Calhoun County, AL
5. Benjamin Franklin Ballard b. February 15, 1884 Meriwether County, GA d. November 19, 1956 Anniston, Calhoun County, AL
m. Mary Isabell Patterson December 26, 1909 Clay County, AL b. March 29, 1885 Talladega County, AL d. April 17, 1971 Anniston, Calhoun County, AL
6. James Dudley Ballard b. May 5, 1913 Clay County, AL d. April 15, 1983 Anniston, Calhoun County, AL
1. Lewis Ballard b. c1723 d. c1796 Lincoln Co NC
m Elizabeth Unknown
2. James Ballard b. 1753 Bute/Warren Co. NC d. 1828 Lincoln Co NC
m Susannah b. abt 1758 m abt 1778
3. Reuben Ballard b. 1789 NC in NC d. 8 Sep 1856 Lincoln Co NC
m Molly Linebarger b. abt 1793 d. 13 Dec 1871 Lincoln Co NC m. 30 Jan 1810 Lincoln Co
4. William Littleton Ballard b. 12 Dec 1812 Lincoln Co. NC d. aft 1870 Union Township Lincoln Co
m (2) Elizabeth McCorkle b. abt 1820 Lincoln Co NC d. bet 1840-1850 m 10 Oct 1837
5. George Washington Ballard b. 5 Aug 1845 Lincoln Co. NC d. 6 Oct 1924 Catawba Springs, Lincoln Co
m (2) Sarah Sophronia (Fronie) Litton b. 20 Oct 1846 Lincoln Co d. 1888 Lincoln Co m. abt 1865
6. Ambrose Gaither Ballard b. 29 Sep 1881 Catawba or Lincoln Co. NC d. 6 May 1963 in Cabarrus Co
m Ella Lavina McAllister b. 5 Mar 1886 Boger Co, Lincoln Co NC 31 Jul 1970 Cabarrus Co m 2 Dec 1906
7. Ralph Harold Ballard b. 27 May 1925 Kannapolis, Rowan Co. NC d. 24 Mar 1987 Concord, Cabarrus Co
m Ruth Elizabeth Bowles b. 16 Sep 1926 Danville, Pittsylvania Co., VA m: 8 Feb 1944 in York Co. SC
William Ballard b. abt 1840 d. abt 1877 TN m 30 Aug 1860 Franklin Co TN Cynthia Ann Tipps b. abt 1840 TN d. abt 1911 TN
John Sheldon Ballard b. Aug 6, 1874 Clifton, Wayne Co. TN d. Oct 31, 1954 Blytheville, MS Co. AR m. 1899 Nancy Fitzgerald b. July 10, 1880 TN d. July 12, 1943 Dexter, Stoddard Co. MO
Henry William Ballard b. Dec 3, 1903 d. Jan 1984 m. Dovie Davidson 1923 b.? d.?
1. James B. Ballard, b. 1803, d. 25 March 1882, Montgomery Co, NC
2. Isaiah W. Ballard, b. 26 Oct 1834, Montgomery Co., NC
3. William Clark Ballard, B. 30 Sept 1851, d. 27 Nov. 1925 Montgomery Co., NC
4. Lacy Vander Ballard, b. 16 July 1880, d. 20 Sept 1927 Montgomery Co., NC
5. Lacy Henry Ballard, b. 17 May 1911, d. 28 Feb 1982, Montgomery Co., NC
James Blake Ballard:
Thomas Ballard b 1630 d 1689 m Anne Thomas
Thomas Ballard, Jr. b 1655 d 1711 m Katherine Anne Hubbard
William Ballard b 1682 d 1706 m Philadelphia Lee
William Ballard b 1715 d 1794 m1 Mary Johnson m2 Rachel Clark m3 Mary Moorman m4 Mary Sarah Byrom Chenault
Byrom Ballard b 27 Feb 1740 Albemarle Co VA d 1817 Grayson Co VA m Eleanor Candler
William McDonald Ballard b 20 Jul 1767 d 1816 m Elizabeth Anthony
Asa Ballard b 19 Aug 1793 d 1846 Perry Co IN m Sarah Webb
Joseph Anthony Ballard b 1825 d 1866 m Mary Ann Cart
Charles Martin Ballard b 1861 d 1928 m Margaret (Maggie) F. Weedman
Joseph John Ballard b 1893 d 1950 m Fronie Frances Bradley
Cherryville, Gaston Co, NC
John C. Ballard b. 9 Oct 1869 d. 25 Jun 1950 m. Sarah F Rhyne
Thomas Avery Ballard b. 5 Sept 1891 d. 12 May 1947 m. Elizabeth Aderholdt
James Clay Ballard, Sr. b. 26 Sept 1914 d. 28 May 2004 m. Mary Grace Trayham
James Clay Ballard, Jr. living
B-39: Ysearch ID:?? 146541
1. Miles D. Ballard b. abt 1817 Montgomery Co. NC.
2. Robert Lee Ballard b. 14 Jul 1864 KY. d. 30 Dec 1937 Evansville, IN.
3. Wilbert Everett Ballard b. 21 Sep 1911 Evansville, IN d. 7 Jan 1982 Daytona Beach, FL.
4. Wilbert Lee Ballard b. 13 Jul 1933 Evansville, IN.
William Ballard of Monroe Co WV
1) William Ballard b. c1690 Larnarkshire, Scotland – married Mary Ann Johnson c. 1730
2) Thomas Ballard b. c.1755 Orange County, VA
3) John C. Ballard (AKA Peddler John) b.1772 Orange County, VA d. 1856 Shelby County, IN; m. Chloe Dora Flinn c. 1799
4) St. Clair Ballard b. 1803, Monroe County, VA (now WV) d. 1874, Boone County, VA (now WV); m. Ruth Meadows
5) Marine Sanford Ballard b. 1833 Boone County d. 1905 Boone County; m. Mary Ann Allen
6) James Kelly Ballard b. 1880 Boone County d. 1962 Palmetto, FL; m. Roma Mae Workman 1907
7) Plymal Sinton Ballard b. 1908 Boone County d. 1995 Cape coral, FL; m. Elizabeth Lynwood Harrison 1930
1. William Ballard b abt 1687 James City Co, VA d Oct 2, 1754 King & Queen Co, VA
m. Philadelphia Lee / Ludwell in VA b 1682 Essex Co, VA d aft 1754 in Essex Co, VA
2. Phillip Ballard b abt 1706 in Essex Co, VA d Mar 8, 1778 in Orange Co, VA
m. Ann Nancy Johnson in Orange Co, VA b abt 1715
3. Johnson Ballard b abt 1750 in Orange Co, VA d 1849 in Owen Co, KY
m1. Elizabeth “Bettie” Eastham b 1796 on 22 Dec, 1791 in Culpeper County, VA
m2. Isabella Sparks b 1776 on 1816 in Owen Co, KY
4. James W Ballard b 1813 in Owen Co, KY d 11 Feb 1884 in Owen Co, KY
m. Elizabeth Ann Ford 29 Apr, 1839 in Owen Co, KY
5. James F Ballard b. 1 Oct 1860 in Owen Co, KY d. 12 Mar 1935 in Owen Co, KY
m. Mary Bell Gulley b 1868 d 1940
6. Walter Ballard b. 8 Jan 1893 in Owen Co, KY d. 16 Jan 1979 in Owen Co KY
m. Lillian Gill b 1897 d 1989
1. William Staten Ballard b: Aug 1780 VA m. Maxie “Madcap” Margaret Warlcof Earp b: 27 May 1785 MD m: Abt. 1806 d: 23 Sep 1870
2. William Staten Ballard Jr. b: 05 Jan 1826 NC d: 12 Jun 1898 in Iredell Co NC m.1 Martha Elizabeth “Lizzie” Morrow b: 16 Aug 1825 m: Abt. 1848 d: Bef. 1871
m.2 Mary Evelyn Mayhew Holthouser b: 06 May 1839 m: 17 Jan 1871 d: 29 Jan 1917 Burial: Willow Valley Morresville NC
3. Rufus Espie Ballard b. 02 Mar 1874 d. 24 Sep 1955 m. Emma D Lytle b 08 Jun 1876 d. 01 Feb 1932 buried Huntersville, Mecklenburg Co. NC.
4. Charlie Fate Ballard b. 19 Sep 1911 d. Feb 1994 (married three times) m. Snow Delma Bryson
1. Phillip Ballard b:19 Mar 1779 in Orange Co VA d: 1845 Henry Co. IN m Eleanor Guthery
2. Robertson Shelton Ballard b: 22 Nov 1811 in Logan? Co. VA d: 07 Jan 1900 in Millersburg Twnshp, Mercer CO. IL m. Sarah Ann Griffith
3. Cyrus Austin Ballard b: 1840 in Henry CO, IN d: 4 Mar, 1887 in New Boston, Mercer Co, IL m. Martha Wheeler
4. John Bland Ballard b: 15 Jul 1883 in New Boston, Mercer Co, IL d: 12 Mar 1950, Warren Co, IL m. Sue Parkman
1. William Ballard. Born, circa 1777. Died, after 1830, in Catahoula Par., LA.
According to the 1820 and 1830 census of Catahoula Parish Louisiana, William was born between 1775 and 1780. He must have died between 1830 and 1840, for he does not appear in the 1840 census.
The earliest records for William were found in the American State Papers Vol. II, page 777, where three land claims, Numbers 138, 140D, and 141D are listed. These clains were registered on the same day by the same agent. The three claimants, Richard, William and Reuben Ballard, must have been related. In 1818, William Ballard must have sold part or all of the land claimed as indicated in this conveyance record:
Be it known that we WILLIAM BALLARD and HYMAN BYRD now settled and inhabiting the hereafter described tracts of land in the county of Rapide and Parish of Catahoula and Territory of Orleans, now the state of Louisiana, which said tracts we began to improve on or about the year Eighteen hundred and Eight, and never since removed from the territory and state aforesaid, but continued living on and improving said tracts of land we have granted bargained sold and conveyed as we do by these presents Grant bargain sell and convey unto JACOB B. FOWLER his heirs and assigns for and in consideration of the sum of one thousand dollars to us in hand paid by the said Jacob B. Fowler the receipt whereof we do hereby acknowledge. All the right title or claim we may have on said tracts of land as preemptions which said improvements adjoin each other on Deer Creek and lands claimed by Mrs. HAIGGINS otherwise warranting our said right title or claim of preemption to the said JACOB B. FOWLER against the claims demand or demands of any person or persons whatsoever. In witness whereof we have set our hands and acknowledge the same in the presence of the subscribing judge the subscribing witnesses this 31th day of October 1818. /s/ WILLIAM BALLARD, HIRAM BYRD
In 1819, William Ballard was a witness to a conveyance of two lots in Harrisonburg, Catahoula Parish, and in 1823, stood bound as security for George Fogle in that parish.
William married Rachael , after 1817. Born, circa 1795, in South Carolina. Died, 1 Oct 1853, in Franklin Par., LA. According to her obituary, in the New Orleans Christian Advocate, Rachael came to Louisiana from South Carolina with her father about 1817 and died near Deer Creek in Franklin Parish, Louisiana. After William’s death, Rachael lived with a daughter and her husband, William Ensminger.
In 1840, there was an older woman Rachael’s age with the William Ensminger family and a Rachel Ballard was listed with the Ensminger family in 1850, although, apparently, her daughter had died. Some of Rachael’s children probably lived with the Ensmingers also. Children:
i. Louisa2 Ballard. Born, circa 1818. She married Henry Stampley. Louisa is named in the 1850 census and appears as a 32 year old female in the household of Henry Stampley. Two Ballard men, Jacob L. and William M. are probably her brothers. There are no other children. In Henry Stampley’s household in the 1840 census, there were a total of 7 children. From their ages, only two are likely to be Louisa’s. Jacob, and William Ballard can be identified by their ages and two others could be John Manor and Armstrong Ballard.
ii. (Wm.’s Dau) Ballard. Born, circa 1820, in Catahoula Par., LA. Died, before 1850. She married William Ensminger. This daughter of William and Rachael Ballard is probably the 5-10 year old female listed in the 1830 census and the 20-30 year old female in William Ensminger’s household in 1840. She must been the wife of William Ensminger and must have died before 1850. Her mother, Rachael, is probably the 40-50 year old female listed. In the 1850 census, Rachel Ballard, age 55, still lives in the Ensminger household and there are Ensminger children from 3 to 20. Some of these must be grandchildren of William and Rachael Ballard.
2 iii. Armstrong Ballard.
3 iv. Mary (Polly) Ballard.
4 v. John Manor Ballard.
5 vi. Jacob L Ballard.
vii. Preston Ballard. Born, 1833, in Catahoula Par., LA.
6 viii. William M. Ballard.
1. Thomas Ballard b. 1630 England d. 24 Mar 1689 Williamsburg VA
m Anne Thomas b. 1638 m. 1650 York Co VA d. 26 Sep 1678 Williamsburg VA
2. Thomas Ballard Jr b. 1654 Middle Plantation VA d. 11 Jun 1711 Middle Plantation VA
m Katherine Hubbard b. 1660 Essex Co VA m. 9 May 1684 Essex Co VA d. 1706 Hampton VA
3. William Ballard b. 1687 York Co VA d. 1754 King and Queen Co VA
m Philadelphia Lee Ludwell b. 1682 Essex Co VA d. 1754 King and Queen Co VA
4. William Ballard Jr b. 8 Sep 1715 York Co VA d. 12 Jun 1794 Bedford Co VA
m Mary Ann Byrum b. 1710 Yorkshire England m. 1734 Cedar Creek VA d. 1765 Bedford Co VA
5. David Ballard b. 9 Apr 1750 Cedar Creek VA d. 1822 Wilmington Ohio
m Mary Brock b. 1 Sep 1756 Bethlehem Township NJ m. 12 Sep 1770 Cedar Creek VA d. 1808 Hopewell VA
6. Joseph Ballard b. 20 Dec 1770 Grayson Co VA d. 26 Jul 1848 Hendricks Co IN
m Elizabeth Burcham b. 10 Feb 1772 Westfield NC m. 10 Sep 1790 Westfield NC d. 21 Aug 1847 Hendricks Co IN
7. John Ballard b. 12 Dec 1793 Grayson Co VA d. Apr 1846 Marion Co IN
m Catherine (Kiddy) Mendenhall b. 7 Oct 1801 Guilford Co NC m. Greene Co OH 24 Feb 1820 d. 1891 Hastings NE
8. Dayton Hendricks Ballard b. 20 Aug 1835 Hendricks Co IN d. 15 Feb 1910 Everett WA
m Samantha Irene Grantham b. 21 Oct 1839 IA m. 1857
9. John Grantham Ballard b. 22 Nov 1860 Nevada IA d. 17 Dec 1903 Everett WA
m Agnes Adele McNeilan b. 6 Aug 1860 Bucyrus OH m. 24 Nov 1885 Oskaloosa IA d. 20 Jun 1939 Seattle WA
10. Dean Dayton Ballard b. 9 Jan 1890 Bertrand NE d. 3 Feb 1955 Seattle WA
m Mary Johnston Knight b. 24 Apr 1892 Chicago IL m. 13 Aug 1917 Hood River OR d. 1 Dec 1972
11. John Grantham Ballard II b. 25 Dec 1920 Seattle WA d. 5 May 2003 Seattle WA
m (2) Hazel Patricia Patterson b. 20 Sep 1923 Seattle WA m. 1 Jun 1946 Seattle WA d. 4 Feb 2002 Seattle WA
Haplogroup R-M269 R1b1a2
William Ballard b. Aug 12, 1603 Southwell, Nottinghamshire, England
Thomas Ballard b. VA
Thomas Ballard b. VA
William Ballard b. VA
Philip Ballard b. VA
Curtis Ballard b. VA
John Ballard b. 1782 Culpeper Co VA
Elijah Granville Ballard
Elijah Granville Ballard Jr
Humphrey Ballard, b. abt 1735; lived in Granville Co. and Montgomery Co. NC; d. July 1801; Wilkes Co., GA.
Nathan Ballard, b. abt 1768 NC; moved to Wilkes Co.with his father; d. 1803 in Wilkes County, GA
m. Nancy Milner b. abt 1775; d. bef 1803 Wilkes Co. GA
James Ballard, b. 1790 in Wilkes Co.; d. abt.1860 in Elmore County AL
m. Emily Amelia Taylor b. 1800 GA; d. bef 1870 Elmore Co., AL; m. in Jones Co. GA, 1816
William John Ballard b. 1837 Chambers Co. AL; d. 1862 Winchester VA. from disease in Civil War
m. Frances Emily Stringer b. GA ; remarried a Stanley, d. LA
William Lafayette Ballard b. Jul 15, 1859, AL; d. 1913 in LA; buried in Doddridge, Miller, AR
m. (1) America Alice Waldroup b. March 3, 1869; Lafayette Co., AR; d. January 3, 1904 Miller Co AR; m. Oct 12, 1882
m. (2) Tency Brown b 1818, (her third marriage–Others to Mr. Tidwell & unk.) m. Wm Lafayette in 1905, Caddo Parrish, LA
John William Ballard b. 1889 in Sulfur Fork, Miller,1886 AR; d,?
m. Susan Onora Wynn
Absilla A. Ballard (sometimes spelled Apsilla) is the daughter of Abraham Ballard. See Abraham Ballard of Perquimans County, North Carolina (c.1705-1754).
1. Reuben Ballard b. 1748 in VA or NC, d. Nov 1820 in Warren Co. KY. M. Absilla A. Ballard
2. John Ballard b. 4-19-1779, d. 5-1-1848, Marshall Co IA m. Jinney Cox on 11-16-1801 b. abt 1775 in KY
3. William Ballard b 5-3-1806 in Warren Co KY d 2-25-1873 in Marshall Co IA , m Rebecca Houston on 12-4-1828 in Indiana, b .7-28-1807 in KY, d. Mar 1851 in Marshall Co IA.
4. Jabez Ballard b 9-13-1845 in Des Moines Co IA , d 1-8-1920 in Albion, Marshall Co IA, m Clara May Wickersham on 10-18-1883, b. 4-3-1857 Marietta , Marshall Co IA, d. 10-28-1937 in Des Moines, Polk Co IA
5. Lyle Emerson Ballard, b. 8-1-1903 in Albion, Marshall Co IA, d. 9-19-1952, West Bend, Palo Alto Co IA, m. Mary Louise Crouse, 6-29-1928, b. 4-12-1906 in Lehigh, Webster Co IA, d. 3-18-1997 in West Bend, Palo Alto Co IA
6. Philip Lowell Ballard, b. 11-22-1931 in Des Moines, Polk Co IA, d. 11-22-1992 in Algona, Kossuth Co IA, m. Nancy Doughan on 10-01-1955, b. 3-2-1931 in Algona, Kossuth Co IA. d. 11-21-09 in Robbinsdale MN.